joss whedon, noted feminist who fired charisma carpenter for daring to be pregnant
joss whedon, white cishet male who decides that he gets to define feminism and rebrand it to make it more appealing to himself, while also erasing the entire history of feminism and ignoring the existence of the term womanist
joss whedon, making a speech about feminism whose only mention of a female is to dismiss her entirely
joss whedon, deciding that the biggest problem with feminism is in its name and not its history of being racist, transphobic, and homophobic
joss whedon, lacking all self-awareness when twisting a brilliant junot diaz quote about poc representation to mean representation for white cis females
joss whedon, trying to equate sexism and racism while completely ignoring that woc exist and can experience both at the same time
joss whedon saying equality is important!!!!! but not casting a single asian person in his show grounded in the fusion of asian - western culture and also equating reavers (literally referring to them as the monsters of the story) with the apache
wait hold up, ignore all that, i should just be super grateful to joss “what is privilege and intersectionality?” whedon for having the courage to speak over women on a continuous basis
eta: now with links for all you asswipes who think i’m making this up solely to demonize your precious white cishet male hero (a lot of this shit is about his recent fucking terrible equality now speech)
joss whedon saying women are defined by not having a “peeny/balls” and the tries to pass it off as a joke, deletes the tweet, and completely fails to engage with trans issues when called out.
But It’s ok because buffy, right?
gross gross gross is it time to add to this post now?
- the aforementioned tweet
- everything in this post
- changing a character (who he did not create) that was very, very firmly established as genderqueer and writing some “but they’re really female” bullshit
- casting a white, blonde woman to play a jewish/romani character
- casting (surprise!) a white woman to play an ethnically ambiguous character
- pretty much every interaction between mal and inara, in which he calls her a whore constantly, but it’s okay because he ~loves~ her
- complete erasure of bisexuality, because apparently, willow’s previous relationships with men (oz, for one) do not matter because "hello! gay now!" and that entire “him” episode
- being incredibly proud of himself for the “mewling quim” line in the avengers because what we really, really needed in the world was for yet another gendered insult to enter back into cultural consciousness
- there is an endless amount of shit i could list
basically, joss whedon remains a huge fucking asshole who refuses to learn (and shuts down anybody who tries to educate him) and how many more racist, sexist, transphobic, all around shitty comments does he have to make before people stop idolizing him and defending his every move?
also the sexism and racism in his shows include
Eurocentric, patriarchal depiction of a heroine - buffy is essentially just a sexualized version of the traditional male superhero
defining “true happiness” is only achieved by getting laid (having het sex with a teenage blonde girl)
excessive scenes of violence against women, getting punched in the face by friends, getting raped by friends, getting thrown against walls by friends, etc.
Eurocentric and whitewashed pantheon (for example portraying Osiris as white)
the first slayer started off as a spider demon, its hairy legs morph into a bearded black woman’s dread locs, she is described as “primal animal force, beast, savage, killer, pure destruction”
giving black characters only side-roles and then killing them off
giving black characters one-dimensional + negative stereotypical roles
equating darkness with evil & horror